Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

I guess my dad has been gone about 15 years now. The picture above is my favorite. An old friend did this drawing of him, probably about a year before he passed way. It's probably my favorite because this is the way he always looked to me. I don't really remember him looking any different than this.

My father's name is George Franklin Sistrunk. We had the closest relationship. But I do know that he loved me. He was not the easiest person to get along with.... ask anyone that knew him. In fact, he was down right mean at times. It's funny, I remember some really awful times, but also remember the nice things he did. I think the most memorable conversation I had with him was when he found out I was gay, which was actually just days before he passed away (I can get into this conversation another time). When he found out I was gay, I remember it was a very short conversation we had, but one I will never forget. He told me that he didn't care if I was gay or not, he just wanted me to be happy and that he will always love me no matter what. I think that's all I needed.

In someways, I see my dad. I don't drink like he did...everyday. I don't get angry like he did. I never hit anyone like he had. I think I have some of his other traits.. the good ones. I have tried very hard all my life to not be like him.

Many people have a bad relationship with their fathers. Sometimes we will never be able to change that.... I think when we are able to accept things the way they are.. thats when we become better people.

Happy Fathers Day!

3 comments:

Joe said...

MIke...are histories are so much alike. It is very scary..I love ya..
BearGear Joe

Joe said...

I meant to say "our" not "are"..I am so illiterate. hahahaha
BearGear Joe

Brettcajun said...

That is a heartwarming story. I am glad your Dad accepted your sexuality before he passed away. My Dad sure did better about that than my mother when I came out.